High Frequency Diagnostics & Engineering (HFDE) Ltd specialises in high frequency sensing, detection and diagnosis of partial discharge (PD) activity in high voltage (HV) equipment. HFDE provides a wide range of services, including:
- PD surveys of all types of HV equipment and substations using instruments and sensors such as HFCT, TEV, UHF, Acoustic, Ultrasonic, TM.
- Short & long-term PD monitoring of power transformers, GIS, HV cables and other high voltage assets.
- PD diagnostics, consultancy, risk assessment.
- Domain expertise in partial discharge monitoring (e.g., technical review of tender / bid documents).
- Design & operation of high voltage test equipment including development / implementation of safe operating procedures & risk assessments.
- Prototyping & optimisation of sensors for PD detection.
- Design of mechanical components & assemblies for manufacture / production, including preparation of technical drawings.
- Design and implementation of high voltage PD test facilities.
- PD testing of small to medium size HV components to IEC60270.
- Consultancy on electromagnetic energy harvesting for autonomous sensors, wireless power transfer, electromagnetic modelling / calculations & radio frequency metrology.
- Project management, technology evaluations & literature reviews.
- Development and delivery of specialist training.
HFDE’s founder, Dr Martin Judd, is a Chartered Electrical & Electronic Engineer with more than 30 years’ experience in the radar industry (R&D, production), academia (research, teaching, management) and as a business owner. Before founding HFDE, Martin was Professor of High Voltage Technologies at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow, where he managed the HV Laboratory from 2001 to 2014.
HFDE electronics workshop:
On-site PD investigation: